voltage stabilzer

Hi all(this is my first posting)

My fuel gauge and temperature gauge are going up and down in unison so I can only assume that the voltage stabilizer is on its way out.

Two questions (1) Were is it? (2) Has anybody tried the semiconductor version of the stabilizer or is the current replacement unit semiconductor anyway?

Any help would be appreciated.

My fuel gauge and temperature gauge are going up and down in unison so I can only assume that the voltage stabilizer is on its way out.

Two questions (1) Were is it? (2) Has anybody tried the semiconductor version of the stabilizer or is the current replacement unit semiconductor anyway?

Hi Shylock,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Voltage stabilser is screwed to the back of your speedo, best way to get at it is to remove speedo.

To do this isolate battery, then look under dash remove speedo cable, undo the knurled nuts, you should then be able to pull out from the front.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ImagePopUp.aspx?i=GRID006868

original stabilzer part no 9

I have not tried the semiconductor version so can comment, have only heard good reports though

Good Luck

GUY

Edited by Jersey Royal

I recently replaced the stabiliser on mt 4a with a semiconductor type bought off ebay & it cured the same symptoms you describe

However when I first fitted it I had no readings on the gauges at all.

On a 4a the stabiliser is fitted in the footwell & I mounted the new stabiliser & earthed it to the original screw & it turned out I was getting a bad earth. When I changed the earth point to a new screw everything was fine.

I wondered if my original problem wasnt down to a bad earth in the beginning so it may be worth checking.

Dave

If you have a look at the current version of Practical Classics (March) page 89 it explains the original version and shows you how to fit an electronic voltage regulator obtainable from Maplins for 89p. :D

If you have a look at the current version of Practical Classics (March) page 89 it explains the original version and shows you how to fit an electronic voltage regulator obtainable from Maplins for 89p. :D

Can you tell us the Maplin Part No., please as they list many?

For negative earth use NC38CAT57810CZ for positive earth there is only a 9V version which is supposed to be OK TS7909CZ/N42CA.

Robin,

I see on their web site: Order code N38CA and part number TS7810CZ with 10 volts output! Is that the one you mean? For 12 volts they list order code QL32K and part number TS7812CZ!

I also see a 12 volt one for negative earth: Order code N43CA and product number TS7912CZ.

Stan

ps. I see that these drop the input by at least 2 volts. Is that the reason for using the one with 10 volts output?

Edited by smizgals

Robin,

I see on their web site: Order code N38CA and part number TS7810CZ with 10 volts output! Is that the one you mean? For 12 volts they list order code QL32K and part number TS7812CZ!

I also see a 12 volt one for negative earth: Order code N43CA and product number TS7912CZ.

Stan

ps. I see that these drop the input by at least 2 volts. Is that the reason for using the one with 10 volts output?

Hi Stan

I copied what was on the article but basically it is a 7810 regulator which will give an electronically regulated 10V output for 12 or more volts in so TS7810CZ should be fine for a negative earthed car.

It is a little confusing when we talk about a negative earthed car but Maplins talk about a positive regulator.(they are talking about a positive output voltage)

The TS79-- series are for use with positive earth (they don't seem to do a 10V version, the nearest is 9V)

The instruments are designed to run off 10V so that variations in battery/generator/alternator voltage as well as current drawn by the instruments do not effect their reading accuracy.

Cheers

Hi Stan

I copied what was on the article but basically it is a 7810 regulator which will give an electronically regulated 10V output for 12 or more volts in so TS7810CZ should be fine for a negative earthed car.

It is a little confusing when we talk about a negative earthed car but Maplins talk about a positive regulator.(they are talking about a positive output voltage)

The TS79-- series are for use with positive earth (they don't seem to do a 10V version, the nearest is 9V)

The instruments are designed to run off 10V so that variations in battery/generator/alternator voltage as well as current drawn by the instruments do not

effect their reading accuracy.

Cheers

Thanks Chris, I was not aware that the instruments run off 10V.

Sorry for the confusion, I did mean to say 'positive' earth.

Stan